Recruitment Procedures for Confucius Institute scholarship(2013) of Master’s
degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of OtherLanguages (MTCSOL) of
Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
In order to support the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) in Chinese universities. Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (hereinafter referred to as GDUFS) as one of the units of MTCSOL, is now recruiting15Confucius Institute scholarship students in 2013.
I. Application Requirement
1.Scholarship for Students ofMTCSOL（Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages）
Applicants shall benon-Chinese citizensin good health,aged between 16 and 35(Chinese language teachers in post shall be aged below 45). The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), overseas local Chinese language teachers, outstanding performers on HSK exams, winners of the "Chinese Bridge" Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, and outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world for taking the MTCSOL degree. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2013, and the grant will cover two academic years. Applicants are required to havebachelor degreesor its equivalent with a score of at least180 on the HSK (level 5) and a score of at least 50 on the HSKK(intermediate level), andmake a written commitmentstating that he/shewill be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation.Applicants with specific teaching posts arranged will be given admission priority (certification by the institution he/she will teach for is required). Hanban will provide support for outstanding graduates to return to their countries to teach.
Applicants with HSK and HSKK scores will be given priority to scholarships.Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall arrange their applications in accordance with the prize specifications Repetitive applications are invalid.
II. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. The one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
III. Recruitment Procedures
1. From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants should log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online, print out the Form and submit it to GDUFS along with other application materials (see Article 4)before April 10th,2013.
2. GDUFS is responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban byMay 10th 2013.
3. Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection, and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website byJune 15th, 2013.Hanban will also inform the host institutes and the recommending institutions, which will inform the applicants.
4.GDUFS will post “Admission Notice”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions byJuly 1st, 2013.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants shall submit the following documents to GDUFS by email or posting:
1. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form.
2. Photocopy of Passport Photo Page.
3. Application Statement: stating applicant's Chinese language learning background, study plan and aim in China It shall be written in Chinese and no less than 800 words.
4. Photocopy of New HSK and HSKK Result Report.
5. Notarized highest education diplomas attained or proof of study.
6. Reference Letter and Letter of Commitment. Students attending Chinese language programs of universities in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall attach a reference letter signed and issued by the university President. The Master’s Degree Scholarship applicants are required to submit reference letters provided by two professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English). A written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and sign with signature).
7. Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
8. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the scholarship certificate. Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall provide award proof and reference letter provided by the organizers.
9.Chinese language teachers shall submit certificate of employment and recommendation letters provided by institutes they work for.
V. Entrance and Annual Appraisal
1. The scholarship winners shall register at the GDUFS before the deadline set by GDUFS. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3. Students for a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) shall be subject to an annual appraisal organized by the host institutes before the end of the first school year after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the Scholarships in the following year.
VI. Contact Information
Tel & Fax：0086-20-86319791
Address：MTCSOL Education Center, 3rd Teaching Building of GDUFS, No.2 BaiYun North Street ,Guangzhou, Guangdong.