Recruitment Procedures for Confucius Institute scholarship(2012) ofMaster’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) of Guangdong University of Foreign Studies
In order to support the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) in Chinese universities. Guangdong University of Foreign Studies (hereinafter referred to as GDUFS) asone of the units ofMTCSOL, is now recruiting 20 Confucius Institute scholarship students in 2012.
I. Application Requirement
1.Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45).The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), outstanding performers on HSK exams, winners of the "Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, Chinese language teachers worldwide, and outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world for taking the MTCSOL degree. The scholarship winner shall begin the study in autumn 2012, and the grant will cover two academic years. After finishing the study, students will obtain the graduate diploma and be conferred with the Master’s degree certificate in MTCSOL. Applicants are required to have bachelor degrees or its equivalent with a score of at least 180 on the new HSK (level 5), and make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation.
II. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. The one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
III. Recruitment Procedures
1. From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants should log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website athttp://cis.chinese.cn
, set up an individual account, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online, print out the Form and submit it to GDUFS along with other application materials (see Article 4) before May 28th
2. GDUFS is responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban by June 5th2012.
3. Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website by June 30th2012, which will be informed to applicants.
4. GDUFS will post or sent “Enrollment Instructions”, “Admission Notice”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants by July 10th2012.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
1. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form
2. Photocopy of Passport Photo Page
3. Application Statement: stating applicant's Chinese language learning background, study plan and aim in China It shall be written in Chinese and no less than 800 words.
4. Photocopy of New HSK Result Report
5. Diploma and Transcripts. Applicants shall submit notarized highest education diplomas attained or proof of study.
6. Reference Letter and Letter of Commitment. Students attending Chinese language programs of universities in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall attach a reference letter signed and issued by the university President. The Master’s Degree Scholarship applicants are required to submit reference letters provided by two professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English). A written commitment stating that the applicant will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and sign with signature).
7. Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in China.
8. Winners of the finals of the “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the duplicate of scholarship certificate and reference letter provided by educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese embassies (consulates). Winners of preliminary rounds of the “Chinese Bridge” Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall provide award proof and reference letter provided by the organizers.
9. Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof on number of teaching years and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
V. Entrance and Annual Appraisal
1. The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
3. Students for a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) shall be subject to an annual appraisal organized by the host institutes in the second semester after being enrolled according to the “Annual Appraisal Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship”. Only the eligible students are entitled to continue to receive the Scholarships in the following year.
VI. Contact Information
Tel & Fax：0086-20-86319791
Address：MTCSOL Education Center, 3rd Teaching Building of GDUFS, No.2 BaiYun North Street ,Guangzhou, Guangdong.